Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Getting to know me
My name is Amy, I’m 25, and I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 12. I remember being excited about it when I was called down to the nurses office because I got to leave class and miss school to go to doctors appts. Then I remember that dreaded day I first tried on my new Boston back brace. It was horrible I could not bend, I looked like a robot, it gave me a freakish hour glass figure, and pinched my skin. I was supposed to wear it for 3 yrs, but do you really expect a 13 yr old girl to go through jr high like that?! I started hiding it in my closet after my dad went to work and then I just eventually gave up on it all together after a year. My curve kept on progressing and it was recommended that I get the surgery but we kind of ignored that and went on with our lives. I always knew my limitations with my back so I didn’t have horrible pain but I still did have more pain then most kids my age. I always thought my pain was a normal part of life and I always ignored my worsening problem. Finally after 13 yrs i made an appt and got an x ray. My curves progressed 30 degrees and were going to keep getting worse. I have a 70 degree S curve now and my surgery is scheduled in less then a week!! I’m beyond scared needless to say but I have faith in the Lord that I will be strong and have a fast recovery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment